How to Treat Elephant Ear Poisoning?

Colocasia plants, also known as elephant ear plants, are popular indoor plants that grow in water and have large, heart-shaped leaves. As the name suggests, these plants originated in tropical climates and can grow to be quite large, reaching up to eight feet in height!

Elephant ear plants make a beautiful addition to any home but are highly poisonous if eaten by animals or humans.

The sap in these plants can irritate and even poison those who handle the Plant directly or ingest its leaves or roots.

If you’re looking to grow an elephant ear plant, make sure you’re aware of how to treat elephant plant ear poisoning. If you own one of these gorgeous plants, it’s essential to know what symptoms to look out for in case someone in your family experiences Colocasia poisoning symptoms.

What Makes the Elephant Ear Plant Poisonous?

The elephant ear plant is a tropical plant prized for its large, heart-shaped leaves. However, the Plant is also poisonous, and ingestion can lead to nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

The Plant contains a toxin called calcium oxalate, which is found in all parts of the Plant. When ingested, the toxin causes irritation and swelling in the mouth and throat.

In severe cases, it can also cause difficulty breathing.

If you believe that someone’s ingested the elephant ear plant, you must seek medical attention immediately.

The Plant is particularly dangerous to small children and pets, who may be tempted to chew on its leaves.

What Are the Symptoms of Elephant Plant Ear Poisoning?

Elephant ear plants are beautiful tropical foliage plants often grown as houseplants or in outdoor gardens in warm climates. They are, however, poisonous.

A few symptoms of elephant plant ear poisoning include;

  • Skin allergy or irritation
  • Drooling
  • Abdominal pain
  • Vomiting
  • Nausea
  • Mouth blisters
  • Eye redness with pain
  • Face and mouth swelling
  • Increased production of saliva
  • In severe cases, swallowing the Plant can cause difficulty breathing, convulsions, and paralysis

Symptoms of elephant ear plant poisoning typically occur within two hours of ingestion. If you suspect your child has ingested any part of an elephant ear plant, call Poison Control or seek medical attention immediately.

6 Ways to Treat Elephant Plant Ear Poisoning

The sap from the elephant plant ear contains calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause irritation and swelling if they come into contact with the skin. The crystals can cause nausea, vomiting, and difficulty breathing if ingested.

If you suspect an elephant ear plant has poisoned someone, it is crucial to seek medical attention immediately.

In the meantime, there are a few things you can do to help treat the symptoms:

1. Rinse the affected area:

If you suspect that your skin has been poisoned, the first step is to rinse the affected area with cold water and soap for at least 15 minutes. This will help remove any remaining toxins from the Plant.

Next, apply a cool compress to the area to reduce swelling. If the pain persists, you may also want to take over-the-counter pain medication such as ibuprofen.

Finally, keep the affected area clean and dry to prevent infection. If you have any further questions, please consult a medical professional.

2. Apply a Cool Compress

Once you have rinsed your skin, you can begin treating the symptoms. One way to do this is to apply a cool compress to the affected area. This will help to soothe any irritation and reduce swelling.

You can also take some Benadryl to help with any allergic reactions. If your start experiencing difficulty breathing, it is important to seek professional medical help immediately.

With prompt treatment, most people fully recover from elephant ear plant poisoning.

3. Take Plenty of Fluids

Give the person plenty of fluids to drink. This will help to prevent dehydration from vomiting and diarrhea.

Dehydration from vomiting and diarrhea can cause serious health problems, so you must take steps to prevent it. The best way to do this is to drink plenty of fluids, such as water or sports drinks.

It is also important to avoid caffeine and alcohol, as they can make dehydration worse. If you are already experiencing dehydration, there are a few things you can do to treat it.

Try taking small sips of fluid every few minutes. If this doesn’t help, you may need to use an IV or oral rehydration solution. This can be found at most pharmacies, or you can make your own by mixing sugar and salt with water.

4. Do Not Take Dairy Products

There is no specific antidote for elephant ear plant poisoning. The severity of the symptoms depends on how much of the Plant was ingested and how sensitive the individual is to the poison. Treatments will be based on managing the symptoms.

 Avoid giving dairy or sugary products, as these can make symptoms worse. Drinks high in electrolytes, such as sports drinks, can help to replace fluids and prevent dehydration.

5. Monitor Vital Signs

If you suspect someone has ingested a poisonous plant, monitor the person’s vital signs, such as pulse and breathing rate.

If you notice any changes, seek medical attention immediately. Treatment for elephant ear plant poisoning may include stomach pumping, intravenous fluids, and oxygen therapy. With prompt treatment, most people make a full recovery.

6. Don’t Panic

Elephant ear poisoning is a condition that results in the swelling of tissues in the face and neck. The most common symptom is facial edema or fluid accumulation in the tissue beneath the skin. This can lead to severe swelling, particularly around the eyes and ears.

Treatment typically involves the use of antihistamines and corticosteroids to reduce inflammation.

However, stress can worsen symptoms of elephant ear poisoning, so it is essential to avoid taking stress.

Could Elephant Ears Poison a Child?

Many common household plants are poisonous, and elephant ears are no exception. All parts of the Plant contain calcium oxalate, a compound that can cause burning and swelling of the throat and digestive tract.

Children are especially at risk because they are more likely to put plants in their mouths.

Take action immediately if you suspect your child has eaten part of an elephant ear plant.

With prompt treatment, most children will make a full recovery. However, it is always better to be safe than sorry, so it is best to keep these plants out of reach.

The Four Popular Types of Elephant Ear Plants

Elephant ear plants are popular for gardens and landscaping due to their large, lush leaves. There are four main types of elephant ear plants: Alocasia, Colocasia, Xanthosoma, and Caladium.

  1. Alocasia Plants

Alocasia plants are also known as elephant ear plants due to their large, heart-shaped leaves. These tropical plants are native to Asia, Australia, and Africa.

Alocasia plants come in a wide range of sizes and colors, from small varieties that only grow to be a few inches tall to massive specimens that can reach up to 10 feet.

While they are most commonly grown as houseplants, some species of Alocasia can also be found in outdoor gardens in warm climates. One thing that all Alocasia plants have in common is that they are poisonous.

All parts of the Plant contain calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause irritation and burning if they come into contact with the skin. These crystals can cause nausea, vomiting, and difficulty breathing if ingested. As a result, it is essential to exercise caution when handling these plants and keep them out of reach of children and pets.

2. Xanthosoma Plants

The plants are widely cultivated in Latin American cuisine. The plants are also grown as ornamental specimens due to their large leaves and showy flowers.

Some species of Xanthosoma are known to be poisonous, and all parts of the Plant should be considered potentially harmful.

However, the edibility of the tuberous roots has been widely documented, and they are generally considered safe to consume.

3. Caladium Plants

Caladium plants are native to Central and South America and have shield- or arrowhead-shaped leaves. All four elephant ear plants need warm temperatures and high humidity to thrive.

They can be grown in pots or ground. They make a dramatic statement in any garden or landscape.

All parts of the caladium plants are also considered poisonous because of the presence of oxalic acid.

4. Colocasia Plants

Colocasia plants are native to Southeast Asia and India, but they can now be found in gardens all over the world. These plants prefer warm, humid climates and well-draining soil. They also need plenty of water and shade; too much sun can scorch their leaves.

Colocasia plants are not poisonous, but all parts of the Plant contain oxalic acid, which can cause irritation if it comes into contact with the skin. For this reason, gloves are essential when handling these plants.

When cooked properly, the flesh of Colocasia plants is safe to eat and tastes like potatoes.

Blue Hawaii Elephant Ear Colocasia Live Plant, 6 to 8 Inches

Wrapping Up!

Be vigilant and aware of the dangers lurking in your backyard, even if it’s something as seemingly innocuous as an elephant ear plant. Follow the above-mentioned guidelines on how to treat elephant ear plant poisoning for the best results.

Read more: