You have probably been searching for the best houseplant to buy for a while now. This means that you either have rudimentary knowledge about houseplants or know nothing about them. We are here to tell you all about the different kinds of houseplants you can buy.
As for the question of what is the best houseplant to buy, the answer depends on your specific requirement.
A Category-Specific Breakdown of the Best Houseplant to Buy in U.S.A.
Before we get into the different needs that houseplants fulfill, let’s have a rundown of some houseplant categories. Here are some popular demands that people make of houseplants and all the houseplants they can choose from.
|Best Houseplants for the Summer||Aloe Plants, Succulents, Cacti, Snake Plant, Bamboo Plants,|
|Best Houseplants for the Winter||Aloe Vera, Moth Orchid, Corn Plant, Snake Plant, Cactus,|
Jade Plant, Dragon Tree, Sweetheart Plant
|Best Houseplants for Stress||Peace Lily, Aloe Vera, Snake Plant, Lavender, Rose Mary,|
|Best Houseplants for Air Purification||Rubber Tree, Spider Plant, Snake Plant, Peace Lily,|
|Houseplants that are Impossible to Kill||Paddle Plant, Lady Palm, String of Pearls, Peperomia, Pothos,|
Mini Jade Plant, Asparagus Fern
|Houseplants that are Great for Interior Design||Orchid, Rosemary, Maidenhair, Ostrich Fern, Gardenia Plant, Fiddle Leaf Fig|
|Houseplants that Don’t Need Much Sunlight||Dragon Tree, Spider Plant, Peace Lily, Chinese Evergreen,|
Cast Iron Plant
|Houseplants that Don’t Need Much Water||Succulents, Cacti, Dracaena, String of Pearls, Ponytail Palm|
|Houseplants for Aquariums||Pothos Plants, Philodendrons, Spider Plants, Bella Palm|
You may have heard a close friend or relative mention one or two of these plants. Keep reading to learn more about the specific qualities each houseplant possesses.
Forbes recently published a list of many popular houseplants in the U.S.A., which analyzed different kinds of plants that suited different personalities. There is a plant for everyone. All you need to do is find it!
Best Houseplants for Low Light
These houseplants are for people who live in states or cities which do not get much sunlight. This can be due to the weather. It can even stem from how the city is built (closely situated apartment buildings with low to no light).
- Peacock Plant: This is a great addition to any room. The plant does not require much sunlight to grow. All you need to do is provide it with consistent moisture.
- Dragon Tree: This is another plant that does well without sunlight and moisture. Make sure to not over-water it or expose it to direct sunlight.
- Spider Plant: This plant is for people with a busy lifestyle. Even if you forget about this plant sometimes, it will continue to grow.
- Peace Lily: This plant is an excellent investment for people that do not live in areas with direct sunlight. Peace Lilies need time to recover when exposed to ample moisture and sunlight. Keep them away from overexposure!
- Snake Plant: Probably one of the few plants that will appear in Architectural Digest, Snake Plants do not need much to grow. They can fend off insects and much more. Their best feature is their beauty; you can spend close to nothing on their maintenance, and they would still decorate your living room beautifully.
This takes us to another popular category; the best houseplant that can survive low moisture levels.
Best Houseplants that Don’t Need Much Water
States such as Texas, Nevada, Utah, and Oregon experience droughts every year. People who live in these states do not have water to spare. If you are looking for the best houseplant that can live without much water, here is a helpful list.
- String of Pearls: These little things do not require much maintenance. Even if you are someone who tends to forget about their plants, these will not die on you. They require much less water than the average plant.
- Succulents: These plants store water in their leaves. You are only required to water them once a week if their soil is dry. The geometric shapes of these plants make them a favorite amongst younger homeowners.
- Air Plants: These can grow almost anywhere with low to no water. They do not even need much soil. Dunk them in water once in a fortnight and leave them out to dry. They can turn out to be the best hanging houseplants in your home!
- Begonia: Another plant that does not need much water. They are easily overwatered, so water with care!
- Cacti: Like succulents, these plants also do not need much moisture.
Best Houseplants to Clean Air
If what you need from your houseplants is air purification, we have some top picks. To remove chemicals found in household items such as paint, detergents, cleaning liquids, tobacco, or fumes, you must install air purification systems.
However, what if we told you there is an easy and sustainable way out! We can recommend the best of the best houseplant that will help you clean your air.
- Rubber Tree: This little guy produces much more oxygen than the average plant and can remove mold and bacteria from your house.
- Spider Plant: These are great little air purifiers. They can remove carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, benzene, and much more!
- Aloe Vera: A popular and easily available plant, this one can remove most chemicals from the air within your home and cure all your cuts, scrapes, and dryness issues!
- Philodendrons: A great air-purifying plant that is easy to care for!
- Dracaena: Along with purifying the air, the plant also increases attention span and affects memory.
Not everyone can take care of every plant. Some people need beginner plants to start with. Let’s take a look at some of the best houseplants for beginners.
Best Houseplants for Beginners
If you are a beginner, you are looking for a plant that is impossible to kill. We are here to tell you all about the plants that do not need much to survive, can handle serious neglect, and still give back to you tenfold!
- Paddle Plant: The best houseplant for people that do not have time. Paddle plants do not need much attention or water. All you need to do is leave them in the sun, so they can soak up those rays they love so much! Plus, they are wonderful to look at!
- Lady Palm: Love palms but can’t handle their high demands? We have a low-maintenance palm for you. Lady palms can survive on indirect sunlight and are easier to care for. These are also one of the best large houseplants that don’t need a lot of attention and care.
- Peperomia: These plants are great for droughts. They do not need much water. They are colorful and a great addition to the indoor space.
- Mini Jade Plant: These plants can survive for a month with no water; however, when you add water, they will start restoring their original health.
Best Houseplants for Interior Design In the U.S.A.
If you are looking for the best houseplants for bathroom décor, this list is for you. Decorating a room or an entire house does not have to be a difficult feat to accomplish. Houseplants can make your life a lot easier.
Experts in interior design agree on one fact. Houseplants are the perfect way to amp up the interior design of your home in 2022.
- Bird’s Nest Fern: These are great for tolerating the changing temperatures in bathrooms. They can also handle a lot of humidity and moisture. Just keep them away from a lot of direct sunlight!
- Pothos: Easy to care for, this little plant can handle a lack of moisture if you forget to water it once in a while.
- Air Plants: These are plants that get creative when absorbing moisture. They take moisture from the air and do not need much attention. You can leave them in a nook or cranny and forget about them!
- Aloe Vera: This is a great addition to your bathroom. Every time you need a quick beauty treatment, cut off a leaf and rub some of the gel on your cheeks.
- Sweetheart Plant: This one is great for bedrooms as you can leave it in a wall mount to climb the wall.
- Fiddle Leaf Fig Tree: This one is sturdy and looks beautiful when situated in the corner of your living room.
- Palm: These can require high ceilings, so make sure you know how big your palm can grow before investing in one.
- Devil’s Ivy
- Pothos Plants
- Spider Plants
Best Houseplants for Stress
Are you looking to buy a houseplant that will reduce your stress levels considerably? Plants are a great choice when it comes to combatting mental diseases.
Caring for something that needs your attention is a helpful reminder that you matter to something as small as a plant.
Some great additions to your house could be;
- Aloe Vera: This plant cleans the air around you, deals with different cuts and bruises, and can even rejuvenate your hair and skin, helping you feel a lot more comfortable in your body.
- Lavender: The smell of lavender has been known to reduce anxiety levels in our bodies. It has been used in many essential oil and massage therapies for centuries and is an important flower for many ayurvedic practitioners worldwide.
- Peace Lilies: Another great defense against the chemicals present in the air inside our home, this lily can combat stress levels simply by existing.
Best Houseplant for Your Zodiac Sign
|Aries||Peace Lilies||Aries signs are usually high-spirited. Pairing|
them with a calming plant is necessary.
|Taurus||Succulents||Taurus signs are hardworking and stubborn.|
Succulents are a great way to bring them down to
|Gemini||Air Plants||Gemini plants are easy to mingle with, quite like air plants.|
|Cancer||Aloe Vera||These signs are sensitive and caring, and an Aloe|
Vera plant matches their personality best.
|Leo||Croton||Leo signs are of a royal kind. The colorful Croton|
matches their personality in the best way.
|Virgo||Cacti||Virgos are perfectionists. Perhaps that is why|
a low-maintenance plant that they cannot fret over is the best choice.
|Libra||Monstera||Matches the Libra spirit of harmony.|
|Scorpio||Spider Plant||These bold spirits need a low maintenance|
|Sagittarius||String of Pearls||Fun-loving spirits, these signs need a plant that|
matches their personality.
|Capricorn||Jade Plant||Only a patient Capricorn can give a Jade plant the|
attention it deserves.
|Aquarius||Dracaena||Let’s match an air sign with an air-purifying plant.|
|Pisces||Snake Plant||Another low maintenance plant, this plant is an|
eccentric one best coupled with the soft-natured
Houseplants with the Most Search Results in the U.S.A.
According to data provided by Google Search Results, the following are some houseplants that have been searched for the most on the Google search engine. The most popular plants have been marked in green, then blue, then yellow, and finally grey.
|Aloe Vera||Alabama, Arizona, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri|
Nevada, Georgia, Illinois, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York,
Ohio, South Carolina, Texas
|African Violets||Alaska, Montana, New Hampshire, Iowa, South Dakota,|
|Corn Plant||Arkansas, North Dakota|
|Succulent Plant||California, Idaho, Utah|
|Dracaena||Colorado, Washington, Wyoming|
|Basil||Massachusetts, Minnesota, Vermont|
|Ponytail Palm||Nebraska, Kansas|
|Common Ivy||Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania,|
Rhode Island, Tennessee, Virginia
|Cast Iron Plant||Louisiana|
Any houseplant can be the best houseplant. It depends on what you are looking for and the kind of personality that you will bring to the table.
Caring for a plant is not hard. All you need to do is understand the plant’s personality and needs. Plants breathe and feel, just like humans do. Give them the attention they deserve, and they will give back to you more than you expect from them.
Be it an interior design project, the last effort made towards treating a mental illness, or just a hobby, investing in a plant will be an experience you will never forget. Make sure you research well before you purchase the houseplant of your dreams!
Hi! I’m Sophia, and I love plants – especially an expert in growing house plants. I stay in Chicago, United States of America, and through my blog and social media platforms, provide tips and tricks on how to grow healthy, vibrant plants indoors. Check out more here.